Thursday, June 23, 2011

The Move

I get asked why I moved across the country to Portland, Maine.

The first time I came, it was for a boy.
The second time, it was for a hopeful future.

Since then? I think the reason is because I fell in love with Portland. I live in a part of the city that has a small town feel - but in a short bus ride, I'm in the downtown area.
I have a cute room in a nice house with wonderful room mates.

Sometimes, though - I get this aching feeling. That I'm missing too much where my friends are. And that my little brother will resent me for not being there more in his younger years.

But this starts to wash away when I look around and realize that I feel like I'm home. I genuinely feel as if this is my corner of the world. My little room, in a quaint neighborhood, in the Northern reaches of the country.

So while my reasons for moving here are no longer applicable, the reason why I've stayed is this: I'm home.

No comments:

Post a Comment