Wednesday, June 22, 2011

A Strange Comfort

Well. When you're a single 23 year old living in a part of the country that is so different from the culture that you're clinging to, you take comfort in strange things.
One of these things I've taken comfort in is a cab driver named Devon.

I know this makes most people tilt their heads and go, "Porque, chika?"

But hear me out.

Devon has been my cab driver for a couple of months now, and at first, I cast him as just another lanky white boy.
I am a loyal customer of ASAP Taxi, and they've always treated me well - so when they continued to send him to me, I finally took notice.

When I have a long day, he listens to me rage - or just lets me be quiet until I want to say something.
During those rare moments that I am quiet, he tells me strange stories of other customers, or about times he's spent over seas.
Because of him, I'm going to try and save my money to go on an exchange program MECA has to China.

And during my good days, he smiles and lets me go into my utter fangirl phase. He laughs, he remembers, and he gives advice. For this I'm utterly grateful, because he's gone above and beyond the role of a taxi driver. He's become such an appreciated part of my routine, especially on Wednesday nights - which is why I felt compelled to write about him in this blog post.

This winter he'll be leaving for another trip over seas. And while I know I should be happy for him, I'm also incredibly sad. I'm sad that I wont have any more Wednesday nights, or someone who doesn't find complete pain in my fascination with lame jokes.

Strange comforts come and go, but this is one I'll always remember.

1 comment:

  1. I love that the post title begins with Southern and ends with Comforts. That's a spoonful of sugar for the Yankee part :P.. I hope to read more; I especially want to know why you are living so far north. As to the subject matter, this is a really cool portrait. I can see your cab driver as a kind of lanky buddah in your day to day coming and going. Isn't it always the ones who share the mundane moments with us, especially the unselfconscious ones, who bring us comfort?

    ReplyDelete